I turned “the dirty 30” on Sunday! Whoop Whoop! It was undeniably a momentous occasion and not just because it was my 30th. It was momentous because it was the first birthday that I can honestly say, the wishes I’d made at my previous birthdays while blowing out the candles on the cake had come true. Many people cannot say that at 30. Truth be told, my generation is rather delayed when it comes to being independent from our parents and being pretty much an adult, but that’s for another blog. I am so thankful to God for that experience. For me, thirty marks not only an ending to the years in my twenties, but a new beginning as well. I feel real grown woman right now; something I didn’t feel in my twenties. In addition, I feel like I know myself so much more and that is an incredible feeling in itself. So, here’s my list of 30 things I’ve learned while in my twenties.
1. It is okay not to know everything – Give yourself some time; Geesh, you’re in your twenties!
2. Think less and live more- this is for the people like me that live in their heads and forget to live outside of their own thoughts.
3. Piggybacking off of number two, don’t let anyone put you in a box either – If you are awkward, or “different” own it!
4. Do what makes you happy – This is your life!
5. Just because you’re not very good at it, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it/ go after it –People aren’t great due to mere talent; most often they had to practice a lot to master their craft. Do you know how many people God used who weren’t qualified?!
6. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes – There are a lot of things I wanted to do that I didn’t because I thought it was a slim chance I’d succeed at it. In addition, there were things I accomplished because I took risk.
7. Learn from your mistakes
8. You’re probably going to date someone, look back and think, “what the hell was I thinking?”
9. You’re going to do some things you never thought you’d do and think to yourself, “why did I do that?”
10. True friends are not afraid to tell you about yourself.
11. Accept people for who they are – This is a big one!
12. Be yourself even if people don’t like it
13. Life isn’t fair A LOT of times – Keeping fighting and don’t lose faith
14. Don’t be afraid to date – Notice I said date, not sleep around. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!!!
15. Don’t date the potential of a person, date the person – you cannot date a playa’ and expect him to miraculously turn faithful
16. You cannot change people – so don’t try!
17. Do things for people without always expecting something in return
18. Don’t be so hard on yourself – You’re still learning yourself
19. Its not that serious – It may feel like it while you are in it but the world is not over
20. Don’t do it just because everyone else is doing it, do it cause you want to – this goes for going to college, marriage, babies, career. Create your own lane
21. Don’t forget to have fun while you are trying to figure it all out – I spent way too much time being down and out because I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life
22. Travel before the marriage and kids – I wish I would have listened to this advice sooner
23. Build long lasting friendships with the same-sex –they are essential in many ways even after marriage
24. Learn to love yourself outside of the opinion of others. – Someone shouldn’t have to tell you you’re beauty for you to know it
25. Learn to enjoy your own company
26. Don’t wait around for a man/woman, continue to live your life
27. There a big change your friend circle will change in two ways by end of your twenties – different set of people, smaller circle
28. Do not compare yourself to others!!!! –Unless it is mechanism for growth. For example, I aspire to be a bestselling novelist like Toni Morrison someday.
29. Don’t be afraid to stick up for yourself especially at your job –you don’t have to be disrespectful, but it is not okay to let people run over you
30. Don’t obsess over a timeline – I’m a perfectionist and this was the biggest struggle.
There’s more that I could add. Let me know what you have learned or are still learning in your twenties!